SafeCity Connect FAQs
What is the SafeCity Connect Camera Program?
SafeCity Connect is a public-private collaboration platform with a proven track record of bringing communities together to address crime and safety concerns in downtown areas, leveraging advanced network video technology and a complete end-to-end program development methodology. SafeCity Connect has three major components – Program Development, Camera Network Deployment, and Management and Support.
- Program Development – The SafeCity Connect Program begins with a dedicated Professional Service component based on industry-defining best practices from the outset, with milestones and measures of success for every step of the process.
- Camera Network Deployment – Network-based deployment of cameras in urban areas provides comprehensive coverage, situational awareness, and a more complete understanding of events, and as a result, a more effective crime-fighting tool, holding everyone accountable.
- Management and Support – SafeCity Connect provides continuous programmatic and technical support to ensure the success of the program beyond the initial launch, including system health monitoring and technology lifecycle management.
Why do you need security cameras in the public realm?
Security cameras may help protect businesses from theft, vandalism, and other criminal activities, providing a safeguard for the economic well-being of downtowns. By fostering safe urban neighborhoods, we cultivate a hospitable atmosphere for workers, visitors, and shoppers, unleashing economic potential and bolstering the vibrancy of local enterprises, including merchants, restaurants, hotels, and various other businesses. Knowing that surveillance is in place can instill a sense of confidence among residents, workers, and visitors, creating a more secure and comfortable atmosphere in the downtown district.
The Hollywood Partnership is partnering with public sector partners and property owners to install high-quality security cameras in the areas that have been identified as hotspots for crime. Security camera locations will be determined in part by current crime data, stakeholder requests, and input from local law enforcement and property owners.
Do security cameras work?
Security cameras can play a role in preventing crime through several mechanisms. While they may not completely eliminate criminal activities, their presence can act as a deterrent and contribute to the overall safety and security of an area. Here are ways in which security cameras may help prevent crime:
- Deterrence: The mere presence of visible security cameras can act as a deterrent to potential criminals. Knowing that their actions are being recorded and monitored can discourage individuals from engaging in unlawful activities in the first place.
- Documentation: Security cameras capture real-time footage of the surroundings, providing a detailed record of events. This documentation can be valuable for law enforcement in investigating incidents, identifying suspects, and obtaining evidence for legal proceedings.
- Collaboration with Law Enforcement: In areas where security cameras are deployed, law enforcement agencies may collaborate with property owners to access camera feeds during investigations. This cooperation enhances overall public safety.
- Evidence in Legal Proceedings: The recorded footage from security cameras can serve as crucial evidence in legal proceedings. It can help establish the sequence of events, identify individuals involved, and provide a factual account of incidents.
- Remote Monitoring: With advancements in technology, security cameras can be accessed and monitored remotely. This allows security personnel or property owners to keep an eye on their premises from anywhere, enhancing the ability to respond promptly to potential threats.
- Public Awareness: Publicizing the presence of security cameras in an area can increase awareness and reinforce the perception of surveillance. This awareness may influence potential offenders to reconsider engaging in criminal activities.
It's important to note that while security cameras can be effective in preventing certain types of crime, they are just one component of a comprehensive security strategy. Combining cameras with other measures such as lighting, access control, and community engagement can further enhance the overall security of an area.
Who will be seeing the footage? Will you be able to catch a crime in action and stop it?
The footage from the security cameras will not be actively monitored, so the cameras are not to stop crimes in real time. Stored camera footage and access to it will be provided to law enforcement entities for forensic purposes that meet the privacy criteria. Currently, footage data will be stored for up to 30 days and the management of data and its access will be executed by The Hollywood Partnership as required by law. Privacy is extremely important to this project. To find out more about access to footage and its storage plans, please view our “Usage Policy”which sets out to explain legal requirements needed for non-law enforcement individuals to gain access to any footage.
What if I am interested in having a SafeCity Connect security camera installed at my property or business location?
If you are the property owner or authorized representative of a property owner and are interested in having a SafeCity Connect security camera installed, please contact Angela La Riva at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that a limited amount of cameras will be installed and will be prioritized according to community and law enforcement data and project capacity.
What is required of a participating property or business owner?
Payment of a monthly subscription fee, power (standard 120v power), Internet connection (minimum 20 MPTS upload speed), routine camera maintenance and cleaning (typically, cameras should be cleaned twice a year), and execution of a license agreement with The Hollywood Partnership. If you have existing cameras, we can work with you to determine if they can be integrated into SafeCity Connect and have the appropriate camera view.
Does the SafeCity Connect program integrate with existing camera systems?
SafeCity Connect integrates with a number of different camera systems. The ability of SafeCity Connect to integrate with your system will depend on compatibility, performance and position of the cameras. Please contact Angela La Riva at email@example.com to get more information on the qualification process.
Why aren't you focusing on other safety or crime prevention methods?
There are many different ways to approach the safety concerns and crime in our area, and the security camera program is not intended to comprehensively address all safety needs in the area. However, they are one effective tool that we are able to use in deterring crime.
What is the process for making requests for footage?
To request video from the SafeCity Hollywood Camera Network, please visit: www.hollywoodpartnership.com/cameranetwork